Guide to Diamond Clarity
A diamond’s clarity, one of diamonds 4Cs, is affected by any external and internal characteristics created by nature when the diamond was formed or as a result of the cutting process.
Check out our Jewelry Gift Guide 2024 for the trendiest jewelry gifts.
Characteristics such as internal spots or lines are called inclusions. Although these marks make each stone unique, the fewer the inclusions, the more valuable the stone. Inclusions can sometimes interfere with the passage of light through the stone, diminishing the sparkle and value of the diamond.
According to the quality analysis system of the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), clarity is graded on a scale ranging from Flawless (Fl) to Imperfect (I). Only a tiny percentage of diamonds ever achieve a grade of Flawless.
The GIA Diamond Clarity Scale
The GIA Diamond Clarity Scale has 6 categories, some of which are divided, for a total of 11 specific grades.
- Flawless (FL) No inclusions and no blemishes visible under 10x magnification
- Internally Flawless (IF) No inclusions visible under 10x magnification
- Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2) Inclusions so slight they are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification
- Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2) Inclusions are observed with effort under 10x magnification, but can be characterized as minor
- Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2) Inclusions are noticeable under 10x magnification
- Included (I1, I2, and I3) Inclusions are obvious under 10x magnification which may affect transparency and brilliance
A Note on Diamond Clarity
It is important to remember that clarity is a range. Think of a clarity grade as your age. If you’re 34 years old, your 34th birthday may have been yesterday, or your 35th birthday may be next month. But when someone asks your age, you simply tell them you’re 34. It works the same way with clarity grading.
4Cs of Diamond Quality: Diamond Clarity Grading by GIA
- Guide to Diamond Carat Weight
- Guide to Diamond Cut
- Guide to Diamond Color
- The 4 Cs of Diamonds
- Guide to Diamond Reports
- Guide to Diamond Shapes
Last Updated on March 19, 2023 by JewelryNStyle
Looking for the perfect gift idea this holiday season? Try this free Gift Suggestion Tool. Giftly.ai is an intuitive tool personalizes gift suggestions based on a person's interests and your budget, streamlining your shopping experience. Try it now, and experience the ease of finding the ideal gift in seconds!
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
All content is strictly for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or other expert advice.